1 Eylül 2010 Çarşamba

Three Free Weekends in US National Parks

Entrance fees waives for two days each in June, July and August

Oh-my-gosh. It has been a week since a wrote a post on this blog -- I think my longest time-out ever. I still have a couple of Hawaiian experiences that I want to share with you, and I have been to California and back since my last post. But today's announcement by Secretary of the Interior (and former US Senator from Colorado) Ken Salazar that the Park Service will waive entrance fees during three weekends this summer is so exciting that I really want to share it before I do anything else.

Of the National Park's 391 units, 147 charge entrance fees that range from a low $3 to a high $25 per vehicle. The upcoming free weekends are June 20-21, July 18-19 and August 15-16. Camping and concessions (including food, lodging, shopping, equipment rentals and outfitter tours, like the trail ride in Rocky Mountain National Park, right) will charge as usual. This will make it a boon for those suppliers, who not only will see greater traffic but without having to pay the entrance fee, visitors will have more money to spend on other stuff. According to National Parks Traveler, the Park Service collects an average of $500,000 in entrance fees per summer day.

The idea behind all this generosity is as part of economic stimulus, recognizing how important tourism is across the country. In addition to the concessionaires, the gateway communities to national parks with all their small businesses and often intense seasonality will also benefit.

As a National Parks pass holder who can visit any park at any time on that one little card, I personally plan to stay away from Rocky Mountain National Park, which is an hour from my home, on all three free weekends. Far better, I think, to make room for someone who would otherwise not visit.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder