15 Ocak 2011 Cumartesi

Earthbound Friendships Can Start in the Travel Blogosphere

After Emailing back and forth, we met fellow travel bloggers in real life and real time

I can't recall whether I found Audre and Dimitri's A Traveling Love Affair blog, or whether they found mine, but I've been reading about the peripatetic life with a lot of admiration and a little bit of envy, and we have occasionally corresponded. They have been traveling the world since 1995, by plane, train, bus, motorcycle, bicycle and automobile. Their individual itineraries are epic, starting with a nine-month trip from Jakarta, Indonesia, where they had worked to Istanbul, Turkey, where they spent five months. Most recently they traveled from Santiago, Chile, to Denver for a planned half year in Colorado.

When I found out they they were her, we speeded up our correspondence with an intention to meet personally. Yesterday, the intention to get together became reality. We were expecting a FedEx shipment of four fresh lobsters from Maine, and when I learned in the last minute that there would be six, I invited Audre and Dimitri in the last minute. They were free and joined us. You can read about our dinner here, but the interesting part, for me, is how in the 21st century, people we meet in the cyber-community of travel bloggers can easily turn into face-to-face friendships. When we follow each others blogs, we know quite a bit about each other before we ever shake hands.

This was the third time this year that I met a fellow blogger. Last March, travel blogger and travel ombudsman Christoper Elliott and I happened to be in Durango at the same time. I managed to catch him and his wife at the tail end of their breakfast, and we spent a bit of quality time over a cup of coffee before we went our separate ways. You can read about our coincidental presence in Durango here.

And from the food blogging community, I met Massachusetts blogger Don Lesser and got together with him, his wife and his sister when they came to Colorado for a wedding. They wanted Mexican food, and I wrote about our dinner at Juanita's here.

It's wonderful to put faces to cyberspace relationships, which is yet another thing that I've learned to treasure about the travel blogosphere.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder