12 Mart 2011 Cumartesi

Images of My Last Trip to California -- but Not the Tour of California Route

For television viewers, long cycling races are a telecast travelogue that happens to follow the route pedaled by some of the best bike racers on the planet. The Tour de France is a favorite, and the Tour of California, which is now referred to as the Amgen Tour of California every single time  it is mentioned, is coming in a close second. Today, the penultimate day, was a time trial on the streets of Los Angeles. When I was in California last month, I visited several wonderful places in and around San Francisco that I had intended to post here. I'm finally doing it and posting a few of my favorite scenes from my brief time there. Living in Colorado, I'm not deprived of mountain scenery, so I especially treasure ocean views.

Below is just one of panoramas from the Fairmont San Francisco's tower with 360-degree views .


The fabled Golden Gate Bridge connects San Francisco on the south with Marin County on the north. This is a view from the north.

San Francisco's cable cars remain popular with visitors to the city, both to photograph and to ride.


The Marin Headlands, thankfully government land and therefore protected from California's penchant for development and sprawl, are across from San Francisco and offer beaches, cliffs, hills and valleys where wildlife habitat still exists.



More Marin Headlands views of waves rollling in toward bays notched into rugged coastal cliffs.

 

Pacifica Pier, south of San Francisco, on a gloriously sunny day -- not a given on this part of the Peninsula.


Pillar Point Harbor, where fishing boats still dock -- but so do pleasure craft.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder