22 Mart 2011 Salı

An Oscar Connection with Texas

James Dean and Giant memorialized in historic hotel in West Texas

OK, friends, this post might seem like a bit of a stretch, but stay with me. On the morning of the Academy Awards, as I read today's USA Weekend, my recent visit to Marfa, Texas, came to mind. And here's the reason. Columnist Lorrie Lynch who does the "Who's News" page wrote, "Like James Dean, who died in a 1955 car crash at the age of 24 after completing his work on Giant, Heath Ledger, who died at 28 after finishing The Dark Knight, will be remembered as a talented actor lost too young."

Last fall, I was briefly in Marfa, where Giant (starring Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson and, of course, James Dean) was filmed more than half a century ago. I went into the gorgeously restored Spanish-style Paisano Hotel to take peak, and just off the lobby (below) a small room was dedicated to the film that brought so much star power to this small town in West Texas. I didn't take a photo of that display of movie memorabilia, but if I had thought I might ever write a blog post about it, I would have. In any case, if you find yourself in West Texas, Marfa, which has become a notable modern art center, is worth a visit, and when you are in town, be sure to stay at, eat at or at least look into the Paisano and, if you are an old-movie fan, pay hommage to Giant and its stars.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder