7 Nisan 2011 Perşembe

DAM Revisits the Psychedelic Sixties

Denver Art Museum showcases San Francisco poster art of the era

"They" say that if you can remember the sixties, you weren't really there. I do remember them only from news reports and gossip, so in that sense, it's true that I wasn't really there. I wasn't at Woodstock. I wasn't in San Francisco during the "summer of love" or any other adjacent time. I never lived in a commune. In fact, I never even visited a commune. When I tried weed a couple of times by the light of someone's lava lamp at a boring party in some grungy East Village apartment that someone dragged me to, I didn't inhale because it hurt my throat. The one time I made myself inhale (not easy, I'm here to tell you, because I wasn't a smoker), I fell asleep. I never went to a "happening" or a "love-in" or a "be-in" or anything else. From the hippie-delic viewpoint, I was out of it.

Therefore the Denver Art Museum's new exhibition, "Psychedelic Experience: Rock Posters from the San Francisco Bay Area, 1965-71," can take me down a road (Abbey Road, perhaps) that I never really traveled when it was newly paved. Still, even though I didn't identify with the movement, the visual images are familiar. More than 300 of them are in the DAM's new exhibit, on view through July 19.

The posters that represented groundbreaking design are part of the museum's newly acquired collection of posters promoting concerts and happenings,” record album covers, underground newspapers and even comics round out the exhibition. There's music, film and evocative activities that will let me relive the youth culture of the '60s and ’70s that I managed to miss.

Tickets for this special exhibition are $15 ($12 for 65-plus who were actually around in that era and were no longer children). Youth six to 18 are $7. That was a lot of pocket change in the '60s and '70s. Buy online or by calling 720-913-0130 (service fees added to those purchases).

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder