13 Şubat 2011 Pazar

More WiFi in Sky

US Airways introduces inflight Internet access -- for free at first

I like wireless access while I'm waiting at the airport and in fact have written any number of posts on this blog from terminals -- and of course, checked E-mail too. And I totally love  the growing number of airports that offer free WiFi.

So far, I've not been a flight that offered wireless service -- but when I am, I'll bet I will. This week, US Airways became the latest carrier to offer GOGO Internet access, initially on five Airbus A321 aircraft and with all 51 of the carrier's A321 aircraft WiFi-enabled by June 1. Until that date, they are offering free WiFi access to first-time users. US Airways joins AirTran, Air Canada, Alaska, American , Continental, Delta, United  and Virgin America with WiFi on all or some flights.

After June 1, the charge will be $4.95-$12.95 for laptops and netbooks and $4.95-$7.95, for mobile devices, depending on the length of the flight. I don't know whether front-of-the-plane PAX will enjoy free access after June 1. This development is pretty ironic. Use of cell phones in flight is prohibited, but now that there's revenue to be derived, airlines are jumping aboard the GOGO technology train, which that Aircell says, "turns a commercial airplane into a WiFi hotspot."  As I write this, a counter that looks like an old-style automobile odometer on  Aircell's home page  indicates that 791 aircraft are equipped with the service.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder